Starting A New Decorating Project
Decorating or re-decorating can be a chore. Then again, it can also be fun, if you come at it with a plan and a process to start.
At Windows to the World here in Mountain Top, PA, we’ve got some thoughts about how to get that type of project rolling.
- Get your style ideas together. Look at magazines and the internet to see the variety of things other people have done and get a feel for what you like and what you don’t.
- Define how the room will be used and what you want its focal point to be. Measure the dimensions and map it on graph paper, with one square equaling one foot. Note where windows and doors are, and think about that focal point as well. Then create to-scale cutouts of your furniture using graph paper. That way, you’ll be able to get an idea of how to arrange the room before you do any heavy lifting.
- Decide whether you want color on the walls or on the window. Remember that light—both natural light from the window and artificial light at night—will impact how the color appears at different times of day. Also remember that, if your window treatments are neutral, you can change the color of paint easier and for far less money than changing the window treatments and that, when the sun comes through a colored window treatment, it will affect the colors of all objects in the room.
- Plan the type of window treatments you’ll want to use. Start by determining their main function, whether they’ll be for light control, privacy control, energy efficiency, or UV protection. Think about how you want them to operate—Hunter Douglas offers many different operating systems that can suit a variety of needs.
- Think about accessories and décor for the room. This is the finishing touch that will add your individual flair and personality to the space.
- Set a budget and create a contingency fund in case you run into unexpected expenses.
- Finally, allow yourself enough time to complete the project. You don’t want to have to rush to just get it done.
Congratulations! You have determined your décor style and scope of your design project. You have set your budget and have allowed yourself enough time. All that is left is to go shopping!
Window Treatments in Northeastern Pennsylvania
Dave Coleman’s Windows to the World proudly serves Northeastern Pennsylvania and the surrounding areas from our Mountain Top, Pennsylvania offices. We service Mountain Top, Wilkes Barre, Kingston, Dallas, Larksville, Plymouth, Exeter, Scranton, Conyngham Valley, Drum, Laflin, as well as Lackawanna, Luzerne and Wyoming, PA counties. Count on us for all your window treatment needs. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.